Friday, July 12, 2013

5 Things Overheard on Mt. Arkansas

#dirtbagguideswag
My sister runs a little bookstore where she overhears a plethora of conversations and interesting tidbits. Occasionally, she'll write them down and post them anonymously on her blog. I have blatantly stolen her format to bring to you five memorable quotations from a week on Mt. Arkansas with a group from the flatlands of Texas. 

The week itself was perhaps my most challenging yet, but perhaps my most rewarding and memorable. Some quotes are profound. Some are challenging. Some are hilarious. And some were downright annoying. These were the most memorable. 

On teenage boys running towards real life bears 
"STOP! Are you on crack cocaine?!" 

On encouragement
"It's easy to shout encouragement from a distance, it's another thing to walk alongside someone and speak words of hope."

On ungratefulness
Camper: "What kind of pancake is this?"
Guide: "It's a mountain pancake. Made on a mountain."

On summits 
"I didn't think the summit would be this emotional."
(spoken by a teary eyed eighth grader)

On struggle and journey 
"The mountain doesn't show you who you are, but who you want to be."


1 comment:

  1. Love it! I know you are having a most memorable summer! We miss you though!! XXOO
    I love you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete